Orion is a science fiction drama series featured on Zephyr. It is based on the theory of wormhole travel which allows spacecraft from Earth to travel to distant solar systems and galaxies in a matter of minutes or hours. The show is named after the Orion constellation which is viewable across the world as one of the most recognizable constellations in the night sky.
The series follows a multinational scientific exploration team sent through a newly formed wormhole discovered on the outer fringe of Earth's solar system. The team, led by exceptionally gifted Austrian scientist Dr. Hermann Brecht, finds itself stranded in a foreign galaxy after the wormhole unexpectedly collapses behind them. Stranded in an alien galaxy with no way to contact Earth they find themselves faced with hostile alien races and are forced to take refuge on a small Earth-like world.
The team is repeatedly and aggressively attacked by a highly advanced alien race known as the Quelasi who view the team's sudden arrival as a hostile intrusion into their domain. Dr. Brecht and his team must work together against seemingly impossible odds to survive in a galaxy that is intent on destroying them. During the course of their explorations and battles against the Quelasi the team discovers several non-human and human-like races across the nearby solar systems. It is soon revealed that the Quelasi, eight foot tall humanoids with greyish-green skin and two sets of eyes featuring goat-like pupils, have enslaved large portions of the sector. Sentient and non-sentient beings are used as food sources and slave labour by the ruthless Quelasi.
Series overview Edit
Season 1-3 Edit
Season 3-6 Edit
- Heinrich Weismann - "Dr. Hermann Brecht"
- Amelia Hart - "Dr. Sarah Collins"
- Josiah Benowitz - "Dr. Efraim Adelstein"
- James Laurence - "Major Sebastian Carter"
- Thomas Ford - "Lieutenant Graham Hall"
- Lacey Jonas - "Taima Kreth"
- Chris Hunt - "Auron Lepp"
Casting changes Edit
Filming and visual effects Edit
Broadcast and release Edit
DVD release Edit
Critical reception Edit
Awards and nominations Edit
- Orion is a tribute to the Stargate franchise, specifically Stargate Atlantis, and follows a similar theme as a homage to the series. However, unlike it's real-life inspiration "Orion" is the first of a series of planned spin-offs.
- It is listed as one of the most popular shows on Xenon with a highly dedicated following. The show has developed a strong presence at regional cosplay and sci-fi conventions as well as a number of fan-fiction stories. The creators of the series treat Orion fans with great warmth and have been seen to be highly encouraging of their fan-fiction creations.